Tuesday 22 September 2009

Wonderful Stories

It's been a lovely week and then some, back in Meherabad and Meherazad with my family. Though Eruch's sister Manu is not very well, she was still up to sharing stories and I joined my dad and Meherwan in Mandali Hall several times, and we sat and exchanged stories with the pilgrims gathered there. I'll just share one with you, because my son is waiting to use the computer.

Baba often told His close ones at times of Darshan, Sahavas, etc. to pay full attention to Him, and try and get the most out of this close personal contact with Baba. Meherwan was describing one such incident that happened at a mass Darshan, which reminded me of something similar which I was present for.

I was about 4 years old, and we had gone to Meherazad to spend a day with Baba. After His afternoon rest Baba was reclining on the settee which is in the living room of the big house where the women Mandali live, and there were about 15 women sitting around Him on the carpet. I was with my mum, aunts, grand mother and grand aunt. I think two of the women were having a conversation at the back and not paying attention to Baba and what He was saying via Mani (His sister). Suddenly Baba snapped His fingers and everyone's attention was directed at Him. He then got Mani to interpret this, and I can still see Him gesture the words, "Look at Me. Don't waste time, just look at Me. A time will come when I will be far in the front of a crowd of millions of people, and you will be at the back. Then, even if you stand on each other's shoulders, you will not be able to get even a glimpse of Me. Take this time that I give you, to make the most of these opportunities, they will not come again." To a four year old child who had unlimited access to His physical presence, this was a most terrifying message. I can still feel the goose bumps that ran over me, and I spent the entire afternoon looking only at Beloved Baba.

This is true now as well. We still have the opportunity to be close to His Tomb, to be in His presence. It really pains me to see how many people are bringing their cell phones to the Samadhi, even at arti times. It's most irritating to hear a cell phone going off. Even more so to see people surreptitiously checking text messages and replying. Why??? Can you not take even the little time you are near His Samadhi to be with Him alone? Do you need a cell phone to talk to God? If not, there is no need to bring one up to Samadhi. There, moan for the day done. Enjoy your time with Beloved Baba. It's the best time you have, and you really need to make the most of it. Jai Baba.

1 comment:

  1. Mehera,
    I've heard similar stories about this obvious and blank ignorning of boundaries, (not to mention one's own very private personal space)...in this case, the biggest boundary of all, He is that is without boundaries...infinite.
    Is it not possible to to have a sign posted (one that is now commonly seen in libraries and hospitals) at the bottom of the Hill or some approach road: PLEASE SILENCE YOUR CELL PHONE BEFORE APPROACHING SAMADHI. Even movie theatres (in the USA, anyway), ask the audience, not once but twice, to PLEASE SILENCE YOUR CELL PHONES NOW.
    This doesn't seem to be a terribly stringent or unfair favor to ask pilgrims, but maybe that's just me.
    very nice blog, Mehera...
    Jai Baba, Mickey Karger

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews